I installed zulu1.6.0_73-18.104.22.168-win64.msi, zulu22.214.171.124-jdk7.0.95-win_x64.msi, zulu126.96.36.199-jdk8.0.72-win_x64.msi on Windows 7.
When I want to start Areca Backup, FAR, dbeaver, Freeplane etc., they don’t work, they all say that JAVA is missing.
We do have an open Zulu bug today that is very close to what you describe. Here is its description:
Bug 6351 – Oracle installer sets up association with .jar files, Zulu does not (.msi)
Basically it means the Oracle MSI installer is doing some additional Windows registry settings that the Zulu MSI installer doesn’t know anything about. We have that reported bug already in the Zulu backlog for correction.
Your problem seems very similar, even though it is not JAR file related. Rather, you are invoking Java applications that presume a certain Java will run them. I would need to see your explicit Windows error prompts to be certain, because “JAVA is missing” isn’t sufficient for me; its a good clue, but not precise enough. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org and provide screen shots of any errors.
If I’m right, then we need to do some more work on the MSI installer, similar to work planned for Bug 6351, but aimed at your Windows-specific startup scenario.
Hello. I wanted to give you both an update on our study of this problem. First, be aware we opened internal cases for both issues, and we know they are separate. Case ZID-6351 covers the JAR file associations where doubleclicking a JAR invokes a JVM, and ZID-6966 covers the Windows registry path lookup for Java Not Found. Particularly for symptoms described in the second case, we found that the WinRun4J launcher uses the Windows registry to look for Java VMs, but does not detect Zulu. We are investigating options to work around the shortcoming in WinRun4J. We should be able to provide workaround steps and options in short order, but the lasting fix may involve a change to WinRun4J, adoption of it by the application authors, and a prolonged life cycle. We are considering a Zulu installer hack to accommodate the shortcoming, even though its is not the elegant approach.
Stay tuned. I don’t know yet when the two cases will be resolved, but rest assured they are prioritized high in the ranked backlog of Zulu improvements.
Your findings agree with ours, with exception of Fullsync which we could not get to work. Below is our internal QA note from ZID-6966:
Verified that Areca 64-bit, FAR, Freeplane and Globonote work with Zulu 64-bit on a 64-bit machine. PdfSAM Basic and dbeaver worked with Oracle JDK but did not work with Zulu. Project libre worked with Oracle JDK + Public JRE but did not work with Zulu. Fullsync didn’t work with Oracle JDK or Zulu.
The remaining items didn’t make the source freeze cutoff for 8.15, so they remain open in a new bug ZID-7239. We also could not take on ZID-6351 this iteration, so I’ve queued it for the next round.
Hello everyone. This turned out to be fairly significant series of changes to the Zulu MSI installer. Thanks to all –NumOpen, Mel, RRjun, and Sergey– for their willingness to test and verify changes. AFAIK, all aspects of the 6351 and 7239 bug reports have shipped in Zulu 8.16 and higher, plus fixes are backported to 7.x and 6.x.
I’d like to suggest this case is therefore closed. I won’t seal off the thread in case anyone has more to report, but I’d rather we open fresh new focused topics if these reported cases are all indeed working.